Do I qualify for ‘transitional provisions’ in my application for PR?
If you held, or had applied for, a subclass 457 visa on 18 April 2017, you may have access right now to transitional provisions which preserve your eligibility to PR through the Temporary Residence Transition Stream (TRTS).
To be eligible for the transitional provisions, you must either have:
- Held a 457 visa as of 18 April 2017; or
- Had a pending 457 visa application as of 18 April 2017, which was subsequently granted.
As a ‘grandfathered’ applicant, this means you will not need to meet the new requirements to be brought in, in March 2018, and in particular:
- Occupation: Grandfathered applicants will be able to apply even if their occupation is not on the MLTSSL.
- Age: They will be able to apply providing they are under 50 years.
- Work Experience on 457 Visa: They can qualify after having worked in their occupation on a 457 visa for their employer visa for 2 years.
From March 2018, for all new applicants for PR, a number of significant changes to the requirements may apply to you:
- Occupation: The list of eligible occupations will be reduced on the Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and if your occupation is not on the new list, you may no longer be eligible for PR through the ENS or RSMS.
- Age: The age for applicants is being lowered to ‘under 45’ at the date of application from March 2018.
- Work Period: The length of time spent in your occupation prior to application will be increased to three years.
- English Language Requirement: A requirement of a minimum of IELTS 6 (or equivalent) in each test component with on English Language exemption available for high income earners.
Employers of ENS and RSMS employees wanting to apply for PR from March 2018 will be required to provide a base minimum salary (TSMIT), the amount to be confirmed. Currently, there is no base salary requirement. A training levy for Employers will also apply, the amount dependent upon the turnover of the sponsoring company.
To benefit from the current PR application regulations, check the eligibility of your employees to apply for PR prior to March 2018 by contacting YML Migration at your earliest convenience.
How can YML help?
Talk to our Migration Agents today to see how YML Group can assist you with your PR application. Contact us on (02) 8383 4400 or by visiting the Contact Us page on our website.