With the purposes of streamlining processing, especially for lower-risk applicants, and of reinforcing the integrity of Australia’s skilled migration program, the Australian Government’s new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa program introduced on 1 March 2018 will support the business community to fill its skilled labour shortages.
*The TSS visa program will make available three streams:
Short-term Stream – Up to two years maximum for genuine temporary overseas skilled workers in occupations on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List
Medium-term Stream – Up to four years with eligibility to apply for Permanent Residency (PR) after three years for genuine temporary highly-skilled workers in occupations on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List
Labour Agreement Stream – For overseas skilled workers on a Commonwealth labour agreement where a need cannot be met in the Australian labour market and standard visa programs are not available (includes option to negotiate PR)
The Australian Government’s reforms within the TSS visa program contain a number of adjustments to PR eligibility requirements.
As of March 2018 eligibility requirements for employer sponsored PR visa applicants include (but are not limited to):
- English Language Requirement: A requirement of a minimum of IELTS 6 (or equivalent) in each test component with on English Language exemption available for high income earners.
- Work Period: The length of time spent in your occupation prior to application is now three years.
- Age: The age for applicants is now ‘under 45’ at the date of application.
- Salary: A requirement for employers to provide a base salary in accordance with the Australian market salary and the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold.
- Training Levy: A training levy for employers will also apply, the amount dependent upon the turnover of the sponsoring company.
- Occupation: The list of eligible occupations has been reduced on the Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List and if your occupation is not on the new list, you may no longer be eligible for PR through the ENS or RSMS.
To take advantage of the new TSS visa program and source skilled employees for your company, consult YML Migration and let our team to give you advice on the new visa program and how it can be applied to help you grow your business.
*This information is adapted from the Department of Home Affairs’ E-News.
How can YML help?
Talk to our Migration Agents today to see how YML Migration can assist you with your TSS application. Contact us on (02) 8383 4400 or by visiting the Contact Us page on our website.